24 August 2007

So What Am I Doing in California?

Well... we had a hotspell in Chichibu and, though we were up in the mountains a good ways away from Tokyo, we had smog! Now, I grew up in LA and I have had more than enough smog to last me a lifetime. I decided that I could not remain in Chichibu for the summer. I hadn't been to see my family in a couple years, so, I booked my ticket. I'm here til the end of September, then, I go back to Chichibu for another three months intensive. This has turned out well. I'm enjoying playing my shakuhachi without the pressure of a lesson every three days and, yet, making progress that will make my next three month intensive even more productive.

I arrived in LAX. Spent a night with my nephew Paul and family and the next day took the train to San Luis Obispo where my brother lives. SLO is half way between LA and SF. It's 15 miles in from the coast with a dry mild climate.

That's my brother standing with me in front of his alternative energy store. Twenty- seven years he's been in the business!

That's his electric scooter that he lets me use while I'm visiting. It is classified as a bicycle, so, no license and I can use the overpass across the railway tracks and save a couple miles on my way downtown. I use it when I'm going shopping but I prefer to walk.

John and family were away in Europe when I first arrived in California. Slovenia, Switzerland, Romania and Italy. Meanwhile, back in their home, my sister Mary, her boyfriend, Max and I were enjoying the good life. SLO was once called the best place in the nation to live. Lots of refugees from LA. Very prosperous, laid back town. Weekly farmer's market on thursday evenings. Large performance venue out at the university. Mary had season tickets to an international choral competition. She gave me the ticket for one afternoon. I was stunned at the quality of the performances.

A few days after the return of John, Stephanie, Renee and Curt, I headed north to Arcata. I have now returned to John and Steph's til the beginning of September. Then, it's off to my sister's place for three weeks. I fly back to Japan September 25th.

The following posts have more photos.

No comments: