11 August 2007

Kundan's New Obsessions

Just before I left Japan, I began a new writing project. It involves a fictitious large intentional community. While doing research, I came across a book, 'Village Wisdom, Future Cities' that is a collection of presentations from the Third International Ecocity and Ecovillage Conference in Senegal in 1996. I have found out that the next 7th International Ecocity Conference is happening in San Francisco next April. So, after returning to Australia next January, I will then be coming back to California for the conference. Then, back to Oz by July 2008 for the International Shakuhachi Society Conference in Sydney.

Ecocity Conference website: http://www.ecocityworldsummit.org/index.htm

Shakuhachi Conference website: http://worldshakuhachifestival08.com/index.html

I was concerned about all the flying as it is such a high carbon count. Then, I discovered a study done at Tufts University about companies that trade in personal carbon credits. (Some of these companies are not ethical. They do such things as sell credits for projects that would happen anyway.) Of the recommended companies, one was australian- http://www.climatefriendly.com/

So, I will be paying an extra AUD$163.61 to Climatefriendly for carbon credits when I fly to SF for the conference next year.

I'm not sure how but Byron Shire will be hearing from me on this subject in the not to distant future.

Kind of in the same vein: I have been looking at recumbent cycles for a couple of years. My favourite is made just south of San Francisco; the EasyRacer. I was feeling that soon I would jump in and purchase one, however, the price for the EasyRacer Tour Easy is an initial US$2000.00. Then, there are the accessories.
The gods must have been happy with me, becaus the other day I went on the Australian ebay site and found a recumbent for sale. It was designed by EasyRacer but built by Sun. The model is the Sun Sport LE. It is similar to the Tour Easy.It was for sale for less than half what I would pay new. This was the second time that the guy had listed the bike and I was the only bidder. I won the bid and Tony Parker has very kindly agreed to take delivery for me. I'm itching to give it a go. Here's a photo.

No comments: