15 October 2009

Free To Be Me in Chiang Mai

The day after arriving in Chiang Mai, I go looking to rent a bicycle. The two places around the corner have none available, so, I ask the owners of my guest house. A brief conversation and the husband says, "My wife wants a bicycle for herself, so, we'll buy a new bicycle and you can rent it." A new bike, sounds good. "Just make sure it's big enough for me," I remind them. They agree and I go off to lunch. When I return the bike is waiting. It is big enough for me but it's painted bright PINK. Well, a gift horse and all that, so, I accept. I think I detect a bit of a smile being hidden by the husband.

So, I'm riding around Chiang Mai broadcasting on my psychic loudspeakers, "My Landlady bought it! My landlady bought it!" figuring that everyone will understand.

Well, today, I tell a new acquaintance about my pink bike and she informs me that the local press recently did a big spread about the gay community and guess how you can tell a gay man? You got it.

Yes, some of the men around here have been a bit more friendly than usual. How do you say, " a case of mistaken identity" in Thai?

Ah, yes, an interesting three weeks in Chiang Mai.

Cheers, Kundan

No comments: