31 December 2007

The Journey Home

The beer vending machine in the train station as I leave Chichibu.

Had to catch the 5:05 in the morning train in order to get to Narita in time for my flight. I did it! The Kakizakai family were there in their sleepiness to see me off.

Singapore
I arranged for a one night stopover in Singapore on my way back to Australia. I reserved a room at the Madras Hotel in Little India. From the Little India Metro station, it was only a four block walk through the drizzle to the hotel. The room was clean and spacious.




It was evening when I got there and after a short rest, I went to a small restaurant close by. There were fancier places but I just wanted simple fare. The Chennai Arya was full of Indians eating meals with their hands. I ordered a Masala Dosa and a fresh coconut. When I finished that, I ordered a couple chapatis and a lassi. I gave up half way through the dosa and resorted to my fork and spoon. As you probably know, you only use your right hand to eat and I haven't mastered the technique well enough to move the food from plate to mouth in a timely manner.






With my meals, I got to watch a Bollywood music video. Great fun. I managed to gorge myself on only $6.00 and it was a great digestive as well!









A Good Night's Sleep
Returning to my hotel room, I got ready for a good sleep. Hmmmm, there was a disco close by. In fact, it sounded like it was right outside my window. Sometime after midnight, I gave up trying to sleep with the constant drum tracks rolling through my room and went downstairs to the reception. "It is only on weekends." It was going to go 'til 4 in the morning! Fortunately, there was a vacant room on the ground floor with a more muffled version of the rage mixed in with the sounds of a night lobby in a hotel that rents some rooms by the hour.

I woke late. I was somehow rested and after packing, I stashed my luggage in the lobby and went for a brunch at the same restaurant. Delicious!

I had a day to wander before my flight and I chose to just hang close by. Up a nearby street, I found this beautiful mosque.











Across a main road was a structure that intrigued me. When I wandered into the interior up some stairs, there was still a paint smell. I discovered that it is the La Salle College of the Arts. A building directory listed a wide variety from multi media labs to dance theatre. It was a Sunday with no one around, so, I went up into an interior space and blew on my flute. Great fun! I have posted more photos on my flickr site.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/a_kundan
































Later in the afternoon, I prepared for my upcoming economy class flight with a Thai massage. Only $25.00 for a half hour and it was a great massage. She offered an extra few minutes for another $50.00 but I decided to maintain my relaxed state.

Finishing the Journey!

An overnight flight brought me back to Oz. As the plane was landing, I started to feel the effects of my most recent Indian meal... Somehow, my body cooperated with my deep heartfelt wishes and we landed without incident.

Here are photos from the front veranda of my present residence. The photo on the left shows the Byron Lighthouse. (Actually, the photos should be positioned opposite but this blogging software is not so easy for arranging photos.) It's a beautiful view and I'm happy to be back to it.



No comments: